Star-studded lineup announced for second annual Mike Weir Charity Classic
TORONTO - Golf Canada, in partnership with title sponsor RBC, announced today the confirmed celebrity and PGA TOUR professional field that will participate in the 2010 Mike Weir Charity Classic. The second annual event will kick off tournament week of the RBC Canadian Open on Monday, July 19th at the historic St. George's Golf and Country Club in Toronto, with net proceeds benefiting The Mike Weir Foundation.
The marquee group of celebrities from television, film, music and sports includes Samuel L. Jackson, George Lopez, Kevin Dillon, Tom Cochrane, 2010 Olympic gold medalists Jon Montgomery, Rick Nash, Martin Brodeur, NHL superstars Dion Phaneuf and Steven Stamkos as well as CFL legend Damon Allen. A host of veterans and emerging stars from the PGA TOUR such as Anthony Kim, Fred Couples, Luke Donald, Camilo Villegas, Stephen Ames, Paul Casey, Sean O'Hair and Retief Goosen will also participate.
"I'm thrilled so many friends have agreed to come out and support my charity again this year," said Mike Weir. "I'm grateful for the time these players and celebrities have taken out of their busy lives to come and support my Foundation. Thanks to RBC and Golf Canada for helping realize my vision to raise more awareness and support for the various children's programs we fund."
In 2008, RBC, in partnership with Golf Canada, made a philanthropic commitment to raise $5 million for children's wellness initiatives over the five year term of RBC's title sponsorship of the RBC Canadian Open.
"RBC believes in giving back to the communities where we live and work and the Mike Weir Charity Classic enables us to provide a once-in-a-lifetime experience for golf fans and clients while making a meaningful investment to the local community through our charity partner, the Mike Weir Foundation," said Jim Little, Chief Brand and Communications Officer, RBC.
"We are extremely proud to welcome the second annual Mike Weir Charity Classic to tournament week of the RBC Canadian Open," said Scott Simmons, Golf Canada Executive Director and CEO. "Not only does the Charity Classic strengthen the philanthropic element of Canada's national Open championship, but also the tremendous athletes and celebrity talent confirmed for this year's event will once again elevate the level of spectator excitement around this year's Open at St. George's."
Tickets to the event are just $20 and can be purchased online at www.rbccanadianopen.com , with net proceeds benefitting the Foundation. Children who are 15 years of age and younger are admitted free with a paying adult. For more information about the Mike Weir Charity Classic, visit www.weircharityclassic.com.
THE FIELD AT A GLANCE - CELEBRITIES:
Samuel L. Jackson
- Actor and Director, best known for roles in Pulp Fiction, Coach
Carter and The Negotiator
- Nominated for an Oscar in 1995 for his role in Pulp Fiction
- Host of Lopez Tonight late-night talk show, Actor and Producer of
George Lopez sitcom
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in March 2006; one of
the top-5 five highest grossing comedians in the world
- Star of hit HBO blockbuster series "Entourage" since 2004 - cast as
Johnny "Drama" Chase, brother of fictional Hollywood superstar Vince
Chase (Adrian Grenier)
- Earned Emmy (2007, 2008, 2009) & Golden Globe (2008) nominations for
- 2009 Nominated for the 2009 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding
Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series
- 2010 Olympic Gold Medalist Skeleton; four World Cup podium finishes
- Two-time NHL All-Star; Leads all NHL defencemen in goals, power-play
goals, game-winning goals and shots since entering the league in
- Captain of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs
- Winner of the 2010 Rocket Richard Trophy, First Overall Selection in
the 2008 NHL Entry Draft
- Centreman for the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning
- 2010 Olympic Gold Medalist, 2009 NHL Foundation Player Award, Four-
time NHL All-Star, 2004 Rocket Richard Trophy Winner, and 2003 NHL
- Captain of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets
- 2010 and 2002 Olympic Gold Medalist; On December 7th, 2009 Brodeur
set the record for most NHL games played by a goaltender (1,030). Has
received the Vezina trophy four times and the William M. Jennings
Trophy five times; and has the most NHL wins and shutouts all-time by
- Goaltender for the NHL's New Jersey Devils
- Canadian Music Hall of Fame Inductee, Order of Canada Recipient, has
won seven Juno awards, and has been nominated for a Grammy award
- Four-time Grey Cup Champion; two-time Grey Cup MVP; all-time leading
passer in professional football
Master of Ceremonies - Comedian Gerry Dee
- Award winning stand up comedian; participated in Last Comic Standing
and now has own show on Comedy Network - "No Reading Ahead"
PGA TOURING PROFESSIONALS:
- Eight (8) PGA TOUR victories (including 2001 The Tour Championship &
- FedEx Cup Rank - 91/World Golf Ranking - 73
- Three (3) PGA TOUR victories (including 2008 Wachovia Championship
and 2010 Shell Houston Open)
- FedEx Cup Rank - 4/World Golf Ranking - 12
- Four (4) PGA TOUR victories (including 2006 The PLAYERS Championship)
- FedEx Cup Rank - 58/World Golf Ranking - 71
- 15 PGA Tour victories (including 1992 Masters and 1996 The Players
- Three (3) victories in six starts in his rookie year on the Champions
- Two (2) PGA TOUR victories (2002 Southern Farm Bureau Classic and
2006 Honda Classic)
- Three European Tour victories (including 2010 Madrid Masters)
- FedEx Cup Rank - 22/World Golf Ranking - 7
- Three (3) PGA TOUR victories (including the 2008 BMW Championship and
2008 The Tour Championship)
- FedEx Cup Rank - 10/World Golf Ranking - 16
- 10 International victories including nine (9) European Tour
- One (1) PGA Tour victory (2009 Shell Houston Open)
- FedEx Cup Ranking - 29/World Golf Ranking - 8
- Three (3) PGA TOUR victories (including 2009 Quail Hollow
- FedEx Cup Rank - 41/World Golf Ranking - 24
- Seven (7) PGA TOUR victories (including 2001 & 2004 U.S. Open and
2005 The Tour Championship)
- 23 international victories including 11 European Tour victories
- FedEx Cup Rank - 34/World Golf Ranking - 17
Tickets to the 2010 RBC Canadian Open can be purchased online at www.rbccanadianopen.com or by calling 1-800-571-OPEN. With attendance capped at 22,000 spectators per day, tickets are selling quickly including Sunday's final round which is nearing a sellout. Juniors aged 15 and under gain free admission to the RBC Canadian Open with a ticketed adult.
ABOUT THE 2010 RBC CANADIAN OPEN
An exciting new era has arrived for Canada's national championship. Part of the FedEx Cup, stars of the PGA TOUR will compete for $5.1 million (US) at the RBC Canadian Open, July 19th - 25th, 2010 at St. George's Golf and Country Club in Toronto. Established in 1904, the tournament is the third-oldest national open golf championship worldwide next to the British Open and the U.S. Open. The RBC Canadian Open is proudly sponsored by RBC, Bell, BMW Group Canada, Province of Ontario, TaylorMade adidas Golf, InterContinental Hotels Group, Southern Implants, C.F.F Stainless Steels, Transitions Optical, The Glenlivet, The Globe and Mail, Mike Weir Wines, Pepsi, Corona and Reader's Digest. The practice facility for the 2010 RBC Canadian Open will be hosted at the Islington Golf Club which can be access by tournament spectators and the general public free of charge all week long. For updated corporate hospitality, tickets, volunteer and sponsorship information please visit www.rbccanadianopen.com or call 1-800-571-OPEN.
RBC AND THE RBC CANADIAN OPEN
In partnership with Golf Canada, RBC is the title sponsor of the RBC Canadian Open, the third oldest national golf championship worldwide, next only to the British Open and the U.S. Open. With a history of great players and premier fields, the RBC Canadian Open provides golf fans with the opportunity to experience the excitement of a world class event on Canadian soil. RBC also sponsors all levels of amateur sport, from grassroots programs in local communities to national sport organizations and elite-level athletes, and is Premier National Partner of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
THE MIKE WEIR FOUNDATION
The Mike Weir Foundation is dedicated to advancing the physical, emotional and educational welfare of children in Canada. Since its inception, the Foundation has raised over $5 million for children's wellness - with over $3 million being provided for children's health care and related causes. Numerous local and national children's charities have received support from The Mike Weir Foundation. www.mikeweirfoundation.com